Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Log management for the system administrator

I've had an increased number of readers who have been following this blog since my first posts detailing my log management hurdles, so here is an update on what's been going on.

I've limited myself to talking to a small number vendors, for various reasons I won't explain here. But I'll tell you what I think you should ask yourself when considering purchasing a log management solution:
  • Do you want an appliance, or software that runs on your own infrastructure?
  • Do you want your log data to be translated to a high-level format, keep your raw logs, or do both?
  • Do you plan on deploying this yourself or do you need an onsite consultant?
  • Do you favor a solution that is easy to use or one that is feature rich?
  • Do you have the human resources to maintain the solution once it's installed?
  • And, of course, what is your budget?

Getting answers to these questions is, well, complicated. Buying software is like purchasing a suit: you have the choice of doing it online, at a rock bottom price, with no help whatsoever and without trying it on. You can also go downtown to stroll down a few department stores, where you can get a feel of what's available, look at the price tags freely, and possibly get some minor adjustments done. Or you can go to a full-service luxury store, where someone will help you pick the perfect suit. Whatever you do is up to you, but I think you get my point.

If you're the department-store type of person, you can assemble some of the components by yourself. While getting your hands dirty will give you more control on the solution and possibly save some money, you need to be sure you'll be compliant with your auditor's requirements once you're done.

Instead of an appliance, getting the specs and a quote for an enterprise-grade x86 server running Linux or Windows isn't rocket science. Enough said.

To centralize your logging, if you're already familiar with syslog-ng, Balabit's Premium Edition of Syslog-ng has few secrets, they have a well-written whitepaper on the suject, and you can even get an instant quote online. If you're on a zero budget, rsyslogd a free alternative but I think syslog-ng might sound better to possible auditors, as they've been hearing about it for years.

As for the log drilling itself, which I decided in my documents to call deferred log analysis, I still don't know what can make the job as I have not finished that part of my architecture yet. I've seen both free and commercial solutions, and up until now Splunk seems to be a strong contender in this area. But I still need to figure out exactly what our tech people will be drilling for, and what the auditors will be looking for in terms of high-level, bells-and-whistles reports, before making my own decision.

The last part is the real-time log analysis, for which some IT security people tell me that it is "not automatable". I have doubts on this statement. While enterprise-wide solutions require dedicated staff, our needs are at a departmental level; I therefore think it is possible to pull it off with limited human resources. We'll see.

O.

No comments: