Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Building Subversion on HP-UX

We've been running Subversion on HP-UX 11.23 since 2006, and it has been upgraded maybe once a year since then. I moved from 1.3.x to 1.4.x, then to 1.5.4. However, due to a nasty bug with 1.5.4 which put many merges to a halt, I had to put into production an emergency upgrade last week within hours, and decided to stick at with the 1.5 tree since 1.6 is still rather new.

In the past, building SVN on HP-UX was total chaos. Autoconf has problems with ia64 platform, and I had to fiddle with Makefiles a lot. I'm not a developper and that wasn't easy. At least things are better now, and it builds cleanly. Yet even if it's easier than it used to be, I have a strong desire to eventually migrate to RHEL to have SVN running on a more natural platform.

For those who might wonder, I don't use the Porting Center version of SVN because I want to have it run under Apache rather than svnserve which doesn't have many features.

If anyone is interested in building SVN from scratch, here are my build instructions:

http://www.mayoxide.com/toolbox/install-subversion-server-1.5.6.txt

The total time to build it is around 2-3 hours.

No comments: