Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Goobye ISEE: Monitoring an EVA with RSP: day 3

I don't only have EVAs to monitor, but B-Series fibre switches as well. The RSP documentation has a few indications on how to configure Fabric OS to send SNMP traps to the CMS, but you're better off reading the OSEM setup guide which gives more details on the exact commands to use.

However, the switches don't appear magically in OSEM. Usually I think a device will appear once OSEM receives the first SNMP trap. But Fabric OS does not currently have any SNMP test trap that can be sent. Besides pulling off a FRU, which HP doesn't recommend, there's no solution for now. I'll try to pull off a SFP to see if it works.

As a sidenote, I also tried installing the Brocade SMI-S provider on the SMS since the switches are labeled as "unmanaged" by SIM but it doesn't seem to work. No matter how much I try running an Identify on the CMS, it doesn't discover the switches. Everything seems to be set up correctly, wbemdisco finds the devices, and I also modifid wbemportlist.xml to use port 60001. No results yet, the switches are still unmanaged (yes, I tried deleting one).

No comments: