Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adding a DynDNS client to OpenWRT's LuCI

OpenWRT is terrific. The more I play with it, the more I like it. Even though I used to be a UNIX administrator (and a good-enough one, I think), I prefer using the LuCI interface as much as I can, keeping the CLI for repetitive tasks or debugging. LuCI is completely modular and lets you add packages depending on your specific needs. This is a good thing; it removes clutter from the interface and saves some precious space on your flash.

As an example, the following is a quick procedure that shows you how to add a DynDNS client functionality in LuCI.

Log into LuCI and switch to Administration mode.

Go into Overview -> LuCI Components.

In the Available Packages panel, install the luci-app-ddns package.


A Dynamic DNS menu entry will appear automagically.

Inside this menu, you can then add your DynDNS settings as usual. It might take a while before OpenWRT updates your status; be patient.

O.

No comments: