Friday, May 15, 2009

What's going on with RSP 15 days before ISEE shuts down?

ITRC: There's an increasing number of posts in the RSP ITRC Forum with people who have problems, and some people apparently internal to HP sometimes give out good answers (Andrew is one of them, good job!). At least it shows that many have awaken up and started to actually migrate.  

RSP in a VM: There are many angry posts about not being able to run RSP in a VM, and that's fully understandable. Someone found out how to change configuration files to fool RSP into installing into a VM, and posted a very detailed workaround, but the post got removed within three days. I prefer using physical hardware personally for the CMS, we purchased a dedicated server just for that. But come on: HP's argument that "RSP requires too much I/O to work reliably in a VM" is bullshit. I don't think VMware would like hearing such nonsense. Like we're talking about a real-time application here. Of course, SIM might generate a lot of IP traffic in large environments, but I wouldn't be surprised that there were so much bugs to purge out with the first releases, HP simply didn't want to have to support VMs as well.

CMS: After a weird problem I've decided to have my CMS reboot once per week. Besides that SIM is still as 5.2 SP2 and I haven't upgraded to 5.3 yet. When migration is 100% complete, then I'll update.

My own HP-UX migration: I've finished migrating the HP-UX 11.23 servers under my responsibility, everything works well. Gone into production early this week. I dispatched this to the field, the other sysadmins will take care of the servers in their own data centers. I scripted a lot of the requisites, such as creating a WBEM-specific unpriviledged user, uninstalling ISEE, pre-configuring SMH, opening IP Filter ports... the list goes on. I also uninstall and reinstall SysFaultMgmt each time, this re-registers the WBEM providers and has given good results.

ISEE: I read that ISEE will stay active until Oct 31st but that's for CS customers only. Non-CS customers, such as me, must be ready for June 1st. Some might see a conspiracy theory here so that less-important customers will crush all the bugs first and if I was a CS customer I'd be perfectly okay with that. :)  Humor aside, mission-critical shops take a lot of time to turn their boat around, and it is normal under these circumstances that they get more time. Not that my systems are not considered mission-critical... but CS was very expensive, and we decided against it. 


No comments: